Dell Headquarters Powered With Green Energy
By Frederick Carle on April 7th, 2008
It was announced yesterday that Dell Computerâ€™s 2.1 million-square-foot headquarters in Round Rock, Texas is now powered entirely with renewable energy. 60% of the energy is supplied by generated by Energy Future Holdings Corp.â€™s TXU Energy and the remaining 40% from Waste Managementâ€™s landfill gas-to-energy plant.
Dell, a participant in Austin Energyâ€™s GreenChoice power program, also announced it is increasing itâ€™s renewable energy at its Austin Parmer Campus from 8 to 17%.
In Twin Falls, Idaho, Dell powers a call center with all renewable energy, 97% from wind and 3% from solar.
All this is in step with Dellâ€™s goal, announced last fall, of going carbon neutral in 2008.
President Paul Bell challenged other technology firms to follow suit and take the lead in helping create a new energy future,
“It’s time for our industry to take a lead role in creating a clean energy future. Today, we are challenging every technology company to work with their suppliers and partners in integrating green power and energy-efficient strategies into their operations.”
Oh, and itâ€™s saving the company money as well: Says Bell, â€œWe’re using green technology to drive operating expense down.”